Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duncand57  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 8:03:30 AM(UTC)

Good Morning All!   I have a 5 person group driving up September 11 from deep southern Illinois for a week of fun in the wilderness of BWCA. This drive is an all day sucker, so we will likely get into Ely in the early evening.   It is our intentions to leave out of Mudro the next morning as early as possible but we will need to pickup our entry permit somewhere that morning before we drive to the entry point (or preferably find some where we can secure the permit the evening of the 11th.  My question is, is there somewhere that will issue our permit (besides the SNF Kawishiwi Ranger Ofc unless they are open that late) that late in the evening so we can get an early start?  I have checked with a couple outfitters there (we are outfitting ourselves) and most are closed by the 5 to 6 pm time.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 9:43:33 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

You can try Voyageur North. Their summer hours are 5 AM to 10 PM. By September 11th, though, they might be into their fall hours, so you will have to check with them. If you are going through Duluth, you can pick it up at the Duluth Pack store.

If the ranger stations are still doing virtual permits at that time, you could do that. No need to pick it up somewhere.

Edited by user Sunday, June 14, 2020 9:47:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Duncand57 on 6/14/2020(UTC)
eagle98mn  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 8:38:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I stayed at Voyageur North with my brother last September and entered at Mudro. They were moving really fast in the morning. After a breakfast at Brits, my first picture is time-stamped at 8:26 AM in the Mudro Parking lot with our gear on and ready to begin. Hopefully that helps you estimate your time. Have fun!