Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dogtalker  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:06:26 PM(UTC)

Hello all,

For 2015's trip we are planning on doing a loop out of ep23 up thru LBF and into the day bays of Crooked then back down thru either Moosecamp and Fourtown or Gun, Fairy, Boot then exit Mudro.

Our first stop would be somewhere north of LBF. Planning on a one night stop there. Then on to the day bays where we would stay three nights. Then one night at Moosecamp then the last night on Fourtown or one night on Gun then the last night on Boot.

We are experienced tripers most of us have been going to the BW for the last 20 plus years. We have been to Boot, Fairy, Moosecamp and the Moosecamp river before but never LBF or the day bays of Crooked. Or group is a mixture of people, some would rather fish that anything else to those who are looking to just relax, paddle, and explore. So putting a trip together to satisfy everyone's needs can be challenging.

I am looking for information on the area around Papoose, Chippewa, Niki, and Wagosh. There are campsites on Chippewa, Niki and Wagosh. Are any of those campsites worth staying at if we wanted to or should we push on.

Thanks.

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:51:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
That's a good trip. Did it in the spring three years ago. Here's the trip report in case you're interested.
http://codabone.net/canoeing/bwca/BW1106_1.htm

There are three campsites in the Papoose-Niki chain, two of which I'd pass by. My note about the one on Chippewa reads: "Emergency use only." I don't know anything about the one on Niki. The one on Wagosh has a good landing but it's a small site up on a hill and has only one good tent pad. I have more information on some of the campsites along the route we took. I'll share my notes here if you like.

Dave
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:11:18 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I've only been to the one on Wagosh. We just visited, didn't stay there overnight. The landing is nice - deep entry next to a flat rock landing. The view from the kitchen is nice since it is on to of a hill/small cliff. The kitchen, though, was pretty run down when we visited a few years ago - it needed a little TLC. As Gavia said, the site is small. I only remember one (or possibly two) decent tent pads. Wish I had taken pictures...

I fished very little in Wagosh, but in the short time I did, I caught a couple of northerns.