Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TuscaroraBorealis  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2021 11:16:06 AM(UTC)


Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)

I haven't seen an official statement from the Forest Service but, (I have heard it from multiple reputable sources) it appears the entire BWCA is closed effective immediately.  No permits will be issued and no day passes or day usage will be allowed until further notice as well.  

The rain last night/early this morning didn't amount to much of anything.  Obviously we need rain.  Pray for all the fire workers and support personnel who are working diligently.

Sympathy for those who will be forfeiting a trip.

thanks 1 user thanked TuscaroraBorealis for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 8/21/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2021 12:53:27 PM(UTC)


Thanks: 63 times
Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 106 post(s)

The Ely Echo has reported it. The Forest Service still has not issued an official statement (that I have seen), but as TuscaroraBorealis said, I have heard it from reputable sources, too.

https://www.elyecho.com/articles/2021/08/20/forest-service-closes-bwca-due-fire-concerns

This seems to be on a day-to-day basis, but it is making me think hard about my Labor Day trip.

Joe Habermann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:27:53 PM(UTC)


We have a permit for Sept 2nd (Entry Point #62) and we have received a notification from the Forest Service that it might or might not get canceled. I'm sure it's a very fluid situation but does anyone have an opinion on the odds of the BWCA reopening by then?
TuscaroraBorealis  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:47:38 PM(UTC)


Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Joe Habermann Go to Quoted Post
We have a permit for Sept 2nd (Entry Point #62) and we have received a notification from the Forest Service that it might or might not get canceled. I'm sure it's a very fluid situation but does anyone have an opinion on the odds of the BWCA reopening by then?


The best I can give you is that it is my understanding that the 1st re-evaluation of the order will be on the 27th of August. I suspect for them to open things back up, the area will need significant rainfall and the myriad of fires in the area all confidently brought under control or out.

Looking at the forecast, I don't see that happening in the near future.
Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 6:03:51 PM(UTC)


Thanks: 63 times
Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 106 post(s)

We have a permit for the 3rd and received the same email. Even before that, I had started looking for alternatives since I was worried about low water in the rivers. Luckily, there are a lot of other outdoor experiences in this area. They are not the Boundary Waters, but each is unique and amazing.

AmateurHour  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2021 7:13:31 AM(UTC)


Thanks: 20 times
Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
No email yet about my 4th entry. Fingers crossed, but certainly evaluating other options.
Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 4:20:08 PM(UTC)


Thanks: 63 times
Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 106 post(s)

I just received a refund for my Sept 3rd entry, so closed for at least one more week.

AmateurHour  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 5:19:03 PM(UTC)


Thanks: 20 times
Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Similarly I just received my "there is the potential that your permit could be cancelled" email. But hope springs eternal; we'll see what happens with the Thu-Sun forecast.

If anyone intends to shift their plans toward exploring northern Wisco or the UP, shoot me an email. Could possibly coordinate on getting photos and ratings, avoid duplication, maybe knock out most of a map area. Not like this "opportunity" happens often (I hope)!
Ben Strege  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2021 5:23:20 PM(UTC)


Thanks: 63 times
Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 106 post(s)

Originally Posted by: AmateurHour Go to Quoted Post
Similarly I just received my "there is the potential that your permit could be cancelled" email. But hope springs eternal; we'll see what happens with the Thu-Sun forecast.

If anyone intends to shift their plans toward exploring northern Wisco or the UP, shoot me an email. Could possibly coordinate on getting photos and ratings, avoid duplication, maybe knock out most of a map area. Not like this "opportunity" happens often (I hope)!

This morning I finally put a link to the NHAL/Flowage map on the new website. I uploaded all of my photos from my trip this spring, but I have not put my campsite ratings in yet. I fell in love with Oberlin Lake, and I could see myself going back.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
AmateurHour on 8/24/2021(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.277 seconds.