Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bfrlf  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2022 5:08:11 PM(UTC)

Any one have any experiance canoing The St. Louis River around Floodwood. I have always like river trips anyone have an personal experances traveling the St. Louis river. Wondering what the water level like and best time to canoe it. Can you canoe anytime during open water? Any fishing or camping advice? 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2022 9:07:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

You probably already know this, but the St. Louis River is a state water trail. Lots of info on the MN DNR page - https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/stlouisriver/index.html

The DNR also has an interactive map of the state water trails - https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/interactive_map/index.html

Per the DNR page, the lower St. Louis River has the only whitewater rafting in the state. Of course, you probably want to portage around those in a canoe. The river gets particularly rough in Jay Cooke State Park. Beautiful park, by the way.

I have not paddled the river, but I live in Duluth and see it often and hear fishing reports once in a while. Generally, the water levels on the lower portion are good for canoeing. Last year it was really low and looked like a rock garden. Most years, though, it looks like it wouldn't be a problem. Fishing is good where the river enters Lake Superior.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
bfrlf on 2/4/2022(UTC)
bfrlf  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2022 10:01:34 PM(UTC)

Thanks Ben good to hear from you, I have been driving over that river for years and twist my neck over it every time I drive over it. I seen the river trail maps and found them intreasting. I heard some about the Superior side but never anything west like the Whiteface river or anything North of Floodwood. I have been debating canoeing the little Missouri,Crow Wing or maybe part of the St.Louis or some of each. Just need to get orgainized enouph to put a date on calandar with good water. Should be good this year. Hi to you and your family Bryan Ford

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2022 12:13:53 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I love the view of the river going over the bridge on Highway 2. Like you, I have often said to myself that I should take a trip down it. Good to hear from you, too!