Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Canoe Guru  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2022 8:00:16 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

My understanding of the rule change is that we can still use the 30L or 60L Blue "Bear" Barrels if we hang them? Is that correct? I really like how much they hold and don't really want to invest in a bear proof container meant for a Grizzly vs a Black Bear. 

We keep a very tidy camp and I've never actually hung a container in a tree. I would appreciate any veteran hanging tips & tricks. I've seen a few videos of pack hanging fails and they are quite hilarious. 

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2022 6:08:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I believe you are correct, that the blue barrels have to be hung, just like a pack.

As far as hanging, I've always hung my food pack. I've assembled a rope and pulley system that makes it pretty simple. I'm not good at diagrams here. Three pulleys gives me a 2:1 advantage. I store in an old canvas coin bag and use that with a rock to toss line over limb. There are many descriptions and you tubes. I think the one common thing is preventing snags in the tree.

Many say they hate hanging but honestly, I have always looked forward to it, a kind of sport, from hunting for the right tree to the toss to remembering to get everything - good, garbage, toiletries - in before flying the bag.

Probably should disclose I'm a professional theatre rigger, so it all seems pretty simple and natural to me.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Canoe Guru on 2/13/2022(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2022 1:36:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I use carabiners as my pulleys. I end up only needing two carabiners for my system but also get a 2:1 advantage. Real pulleys are easier, but the carabiners are light and work for me.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Canoe Guru on 2/14/2022(UTC)