Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Indiana  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2022 11:29:21 AM(UTC)

Just wondering what the portage are like from slate to blackstone, we will have an older guy with us, would love to get to decent smallmouth but secluded. Or other good options for a day in 3 days fishing, day out.
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2022 12:26:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I have no personal experience on the portage, but this is what I was able to find.

According to the Park's portage maintenance map (https://www.ontarioparks.com/pdf/maps/quetico/portage-maintenance-july-22-2022.pdf), the portages were maintained this month. 

Looking at the elevation chart, it might be steep on the Slate end. That is only as good as the track is accurate, though, and I don't have an actual GPS track of the portage.

QuietJourney has a couple of comments from 20 years ago.

cubsfirefighter  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2022 4:59:57 PM(UTC)

Blackstone is awesome. It's close but pretty secluded. Fishing was great--caught a lot of lake trout with just a rapala deep diver or cleo spoons. The campsite on the small island is great. There is a "back porch" if you follow a trail to the NW side of the island.

Another good option is McEwen. HUGE bass there. Good lake trout fishing as well. The "hilton" campsite on the island was way over used when we stayed there several years ago.