Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OhPaddler  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2023 2:11:29 PM(UTC)

I'm just doing a little dreaming while the lakes are still frozen. 

In your opinion, what would be the one or two standard routes (no PMA's) where I could expect to achieve maximum solitude in the BWCA.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2023 11:14:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

The least traveled route in the Boundary Waters is the Louse River route. I don't know how that was determined, but I have read that in several places. Frost River route is another good one. That being said, I have been able to find secluded places on every route. Some routes are more difficult to find seclusion, but it is possible.

Or you can go to Quetico, Wabakimi, or Woodland Caribou 

eagle98mn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2023 1:01:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I haven't traveled it (yet), but I'm assuming things are pretty quiet along Little Indian Sioux South. Otherwise, aiming for a dead end always helps. A couple summers ago I entered at East Bearskin in August and camped at the east end of Crystal. Going through Alder and Canoe was a zoo, but Crystal was empty. Taking the campsite at the far end of the lake further distanced us from the crowds. I heard wolves howling nearby that night too! Despite all the busy lakes surrounding me, it felt like we had the wilderness to ourselves on Crystal.
thanks 1 user thanked eagle98mn for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 3/23/2023(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2023 3:22:31 PM(UTC)

I have done Little Indian Sioux South. The first night we were by ourselves. The second night, another group took the other campsite. The third night we shared our campsite with a father/daughter duo that came up from the south and discovered both campsites taken.

FYI - there are a couple of brand new campsites on the Little Indian Sioux River. One is north of Bootleg, the other south.

TuscaroraBorealis  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2023 10:44:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Being sandwiched between 2 exceedingly easy EP lakes... the Perent River wouldn't seem to be anywhere near the top but, I rarely hear/read of anyone actually recently undertaking the trip. Only poking in a few portages from one end or the other and then returning from whence they came.

The frequent portages and the fact it got wiped out by Pagami certainly must contribute to why.

Also, the Big Lake EP comes immediately to mind.
Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2023 10:04:28 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: TuscaroraBorealis Go to Quoted Post

I sometimes wonder where everybody goes from Big Lake. There are really only two campsites (at least without a really long portage). There are two permits per day, and I have seen them be sold out multiple days in a row. Where does everyone go?

OhPaddler  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2023 11:17:19 AM(UTC)

Wabakimi is certainly on the list of places to paddle - but the BWCA is a easier to "sell" to my tripping partners (wife and kiddos).  Not expecting a ton of solitude on this years trip, as we are planning Moose River North to Fall Lake - but since I've spent much of my time in the eastern BWCA, a change will be nice.  Thanks for the beta!  It's something to keep me dreaming about while spring approaches.

TuscaroraBorealis  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2023 9:06:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post
<p>
Originally Posted by: TuscaroraBorealis Go to Quoted Post
</p><p>I sometimes wonder where everybody goes from Big Lake. There are really only two campsites (at least without a really long portage). There are two permits per day, and I have seen them be sold out multiple days in a row. Where does everyone go?</p>

I guess if you miss out on getting a Slim, Big Moose or Crab permit it offers a chance yo get into those areas if you're willing to portage.

The Big Rice - Hook portage is mostly just long. Very long. Although it can be wet & muddy. The Duck - Big Moose still rates as one of the 2 or 3 toughest maintained trails I've run across in the bwca. Not to mention you'd have the 2 miler into Cummings next. O, the joy! ;-)
todd burkes  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2023 10:40:32 AM(UTC)

I am planning a trip in early Sept. I will be the youngest at 56 and my Dad the oldest at 78. Dad is very capable of the walking, paddling etc..  However, the Dr. has placed some weight restrictions on him. We want to go either to Minn lake via Black Robe portage or go up north to Pickerel Lake. We want to do as little portaging as possible but still find quiet and seclusion.  Last year I think we saw 2 other canoes when we were in Minn and Iron. Can I assume that I could expect the same through Pickerel down to Buckingham?

FromTentToTakeoff  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2024 9:34:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Here is a list of EPs with a little more information on each, and a map with each EP and issuing station, in case that helps to find these more off-the-beaten path spots. 

https://fromtenttotakeoff.com/bwca-entry-points/

We like to go in on Kawishiwi Lake and at least hit Malberg on day 1. It's a hike but worth it. Once you are past Malberg you will rarely see much for other canoists. We've done a version of this trip ever year since our youngest was 2. Very doable and rewarding. 

gjfellman56  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2024 4:45:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I find that when you go is as important as where sometimes.  If you can do weekdays in early to mid-May and late September through October that alone takes care of a lot of the crowds.

thanks 3 users thanked gjfellman56 for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 1/10/2024(UTC), AmateurHour on 1/11/2024(UTC), elkninja on 1/12/2024(UTC)
elkninja  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2024 5:53:17 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: gjfellman56 Go to Quoted Post

I find that when you go is as important as where sometimes.  If you can do weekdays in early to mid-May and late September through October that alone takes care of a lot of the crowds.

Agreed.  I did Mudro at the end of September and saw relatively few people during a week-long trip.  And in early October I spent a week at Cross Bay and didn't see anyone else the entire time.

twopaddle  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2024 4:50:20 PM(UTC)

My wife and I did the Frost River loop several years ago and didn't see anyone for 4 days. I went on a solo trip and stayed on Snipe Lake in June 2024. Zero people for two days and one canoe each on two other days. A very short trip but was exceptionally quiet. Saw only 3 groups as I was exiting via Cross Bay and Ham on last day
OhPaddler  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2024 10:09:36 AM(UTC)

I certainly found some solitude on my route this year - not maximum or total - but a fair amount. We ended up paddling the Moose River to Anges, on to Oyster, Ge-Be-on-a-quet, LLC, Basswood and out at Fall Lake.

It was fairly quiet from Oyster - Iron. Crooked was a little busier with a few camps full of people. We saw a bull moose on GeBe Creek, heard wolves in the middle of the night on Ge-Be (really loud/close), LLC and Iron and saw a juvenile wolf along the shore just past the bottle portage.

Basswood River to Fall Lake was super busy with multiple groups observed.

We ended up paddling from Lower Basswood Falls to the southern end of Jackfish bay and almost every site was occupied, minus one which would have been OK for an overnight/emergency.

eagle98mn  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2024 11:29:34 AM(UTC)

FYI - there are a couple of brand new campsites on the Little Indian Sioux River. One is north of Bootleg, the other south.

Ben, is it safe to assume these are 2270 and 2271 on the map? Do you know if they are reasonable for 2 people, one tent? I'm exiting at LIS South this fall after starting the trip at Moose River South, and it isn't super important that my last night be on Bootleg. Camping along the river could be a nice change of pace campsite.

Ben Strege  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2024 8:51:43 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post

Ben, is it safe to assume these are 2270 and 2271 on the map? Do you know if they are reasonable for 2 people, one tent? I'm exiting at LIS South this fall after starting the trip at Moose River South, and it isn't super important that my last night be on Bootleg. Camping along the river could be a nice change of pace campsite.

Yes, they are 2270 and 2271. I found out about them from McKenzie Maps, who received an email from the Forest Service. I have not seen them personally yet, but I will be there in July, so I can give you more info then. At least I will be able to visit 2270 (north of Bootleg). All I know about 2271 is the photo from rertel. I'm not sure if I will get to 2271 in July. I will be with my youngest son, and he might not be too excited about taking the day trip to visit .

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 2/28/2024(UTC)
eagle98mn  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 28, 2024 3:35:12 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post

Yes, they are 2270 and 2271. I found out about them from McKenzie Maps, who received an email from the Forest Service. I have not seen them personally yet, but I will be there in July, so I can give you more info then. At least I will be able to visit 2270 (north of Bootleg). All I know about 2271 is the photo from rertel. I'm not sure if I will get to 2271 in July. I will be with my youngest son, and he might not be too excited about taking the day trip to visit .

Thanks! I'm kind of intrigued about them now and look forward to whatever you can report.

HowardSprague  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2024 6:59:05 PM(UTC)

Trip I did to the Crab Lake area, we did not encounter a lot of people and it was a summer trip. Some Crab sites were taken first day but we still found one, and once we were on some of the nearby small lakes it was very quiet (except for the loons and wolves).
dreesa  
#19 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2024 7:09:49 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: OhPaddler Go to Quoted Post

I'm just doing a little dreaming while the lakes are still frozen. For travel enthusiasts who are also nursing students, a nursing care plan writing service https://www.nursingpaper.com/our-services/nursing-care-plan-writing-service/ can be a game-changer. It allows them to manage their studies while exploring the world. These services help in creating detailed care plans, ensuring students don’t fall behind academically during their travels. It’s like having a reliable co-pilot in their educational journey, providing support wherever their adventures may lead.

In your opinion, what would be the one or two standard routes (no PMA's) where I could expect to achieve maximum solitude in the BWCA.

It isn’t something that holds much-traveled water, but the Louse River route can lead to great solitude, everything that faces nature with an outlet of high demand. Spending time on the Frost River route is not as popular and is rewarded. By heading out into the Primitive Management Areas , you can be sure that you won’t see anyone else, as few people come here. If you are in pursuit of peace, tranquility remote paths in BWCA provide a perfect escape from reality and the opportunity to get lost in the wild.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 27, 2024 3:22:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified