Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
todd burkes  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2023 9:13:00 AM(UTC)

Planning a September trip again this year. Could either go through Zups entering Black Robe and maybe having 2 campsites. Or, go through Canadian Outfitters, entering into Pickerel Lake and hanging up there for a week. 
Either way, I only plan on 3-5 short portages, due to age/health issues.  Want to see/ hear lots of wildlife (loons in particular).  All suggestions are appreciated 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2023 12:36:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I have not gone through Black Robe, so I can't speak to that. However, the Pickerel area is fantastic. You can go a long way without having to portage. Large playground from French Lake to Rawn to Batchewaung with no or very little portaging. Being the Quetico, you won't see too many people, either - at least not like the BWCA. Fantastic campsites, views, wildlife, and fishing.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
todd burkes on 4/19/2023(UTC)
AmateurHour  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2023 12:41:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Caught that you also posted some other details in a separate topic chain. French-Pickerel-Rawn and back was pretty good for our first Quetico trip in September 2019. On the way in we actually passed a father/son canoe; the father was in his nineties and still intending to portage. Rawn was really quiet, at least for us that time of year. I got the impression that most folks just fire straight through the west end to Art and Buckingham, but Rawn stretches a good 5k or so to the east where nothing connects. It felt pretty remote down there and we saw close to no one the whole week. Our weather was bad enough to keep the wildlife down, but given how the shoreline varies and how relatively few people seem to head down that way, I bet you'd see some stuff.

thanks 1 user thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
todd burkes on 4/19/2023(UTC)