Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TMcG  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 10:30:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi All

I'm headed into Quetico for the first time and going through Carp to the Man Chain. Then I have several routes depending on how we feel. Fom a loop through Blackstone, Or a loop without Blackstone, then down through Jasper and Ottertrack. return through Emerald or the border. or an out'n'back and wander around the Man Lakes for 8 days. I like exploring but various base camps and exploring little corners of lakes might be more fun that blowing through and making some miles.

Quick rundown. 4 people . Two canoes  two 2-3 year vets, 1 has gone once. 1 newbie.    60 years more or less. Some more, some less

We get along but we like to take out time too. 

The question is, is it worth it? Are threre interesting fishing, sights, history, fishing, beatiful spots that i would otherwise miss?

Thanks

Bonz

Edited by user Tuesday, May 9, 2023 10:34:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 5:39:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I can only offer that if I had a Carp permit and 6 or more days, I'd go Man Chain, Falls to Wet, than McEwen Chain to Louisa and out through Agnes, Meadows, Sunday, etc. The McEwen chain is fantastic.

Whichever direction you go, I'm sure it will be fantastic.
TMcG  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 7:33:53 PM(UTC)

Looks like an awesome route but I'm going to save that. I definitely want to do the Falls Chain and continue into Kawnipi then back through Agnes. But I want to have time to wander up there a little too. That's another trip, this one is more laid back and fishing time. I think we're going to be too comfortable to be moving real fast. And that's the plan. I'm almost thinking a day trip up the Blackstone and then explore the area right there. maybe move camp every 2-3 days. Thanks
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2023 5:43:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Well, I haven't done the border from Saganaga to Moose on the Canadian side but should be an easy low portage trip and not much campsite competition. Probably just one night.
MikeJackson  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2023 8:55:04 AM(UTC)

It looks like a good place to visit for a couple of days. Perhaps I should go there for my next vacation.

dragonnext  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2023 9:18:05 AM(UTC)

Heading into Quetico for the first time sounds like an epic adventure! You've got quite a few route options there. Exploring little corners of lakes and setting up base camps sounds like a great plan. Taking your time to soak in the beauty sounds way better than rushing through and making miles.

TMcG  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 24, 2023 1:22:00 AM(UTC)

Doer anyone know the history of the area. Who was This man? was That man there first? And how in the heck did the Other man sneak in there? Was No Man watching the fort?
freeleo1  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2023 7:30:53 PM(UTC)

Check out the waterfall next to the portage from Sheridan to Carp. It's pretty amazing for such a small space. Going up the creek from That Man to No man is pretty neat too. Good fishing in that area too. Magi lake is potentially reachable from Sheridan, but it requires some bushwacking reportedly. It's intriguing, but we didn't end up staying on Sheridan. We were going to try it as a day trip from there. Littlerock Lake off of Plough is off the beaten path too.  It probably is not frequently fished so might be a good place to try. Be sure to let the rangers know if you might go to off the beaten track lakes and get some info from them and so they will know where they might need to look for you if you run into trouble.