Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kendis12345  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2023 10:09:13 AM(UTC)

Hello,

Considering my first trip to Quetico in 2024 after several in the BWCA.  I have 20-25 trip days available.  One route I've looked at in the route builder goes down the Maligne River from Sturgeon Lake to Tanner Lake.  There are many rapids shown on the map, but only three portages.  Are the rapids shown on the map that do not have an accompanying portage considered runnable?  For example, there are four marked rapids between the downstream end of the second portage and the upstream end of the third portage.  Are those four rapids considered runnable and have no portages?

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2023 1:06:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I have not personally done that route, but from what I've read, there are not many portages. The official park map only has portages around Twin Falls and Tanner Rapids.

BillConner  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 6:24:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I suggest you call the main office and ask. Very high likelihood of getting a very clear and informed answer.
tbm  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2024 10:14:54 PM(UTC)

I completed that route in the fall of 2017 and any of the marked rapids without portages were basically just swifts and a could easily be run heading downstream.  Heading back upstream, I remember needing to get out of the canoe to pull myself through a couple of the swifts because I couldn't generate enough momentum to counteract the current, but it was not too onerous.  I can't speak to what the conditions of the rapids would be in high water though.