Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mattedfred  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2023 9:51:02 AM(UTC)

Anyway, I’d welcome a discussion with any website members regarding trip planning for 2024.

My wife and I are planning a 5-7 day backcountry canoe trip after Labour Day weekend in September 2024. Post September long weekend is our favourite time of year to backcountry camp because most people with school aged children or people in post-secondary school are usually back at home or school. 

We’re currently considering returning to Quetico for the third time because we’re planning to head to Winnipeg to visit friends after this trip.

However, I’d love to return to The Shoals Provincial Park area. We car camped there once in the summer of ‘94 and have fond memories of the area. 

We live in Cambridge, Ontario. 

We will both be 51 years old the time of this trip. 

We have no kids or pets. 

With the exception of two years, we have completed an annual backcountry canoe trip every year for the last 25 years. 

We’ve paddled: Georgian Bay Islands National Park, Massassauga, Frontenac, Algonquin, French River, Killarney, Temagami area, Lake Superior, Quetico and Bon Echo (day trip).

Our current canoe is a very well used Swift Keewaydin 16’.

We have zero whitewater experience and are not interested in learning any by ourselves on such a trip.

We would require either a loop trip or an out and back trip, as we’d only have the one vehicle. 

I typically use 4km/hr for our paddling and portaging time then add on 20 minutes per portage for putting in and out. 

We’re typically off our site by 0900 and prefer to be back on a site around 1400 to enjoy the new site.

We will be travelling with our new 25’ travel trailer, which we will leave parked somewhere reasonably safe while we’re in the backcountry. Over the years we’ve found excellent trailer storage solutions for Temagami and Quetico. 

Meanwhile, I will be starting to review all of our maps and books to see what I can come up with. 

Appreciate any help for this non-tech savvy wannabe.

Cheers,
Ted

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2023 6:13:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
You seem to have a very good and clear and successful mission, and I can't add much. I will ask if you've considered Woodland Caribou PP or Atikaki Provincial Wilderness Park, since you're heading west. I haven't but would like to, particularly Woodland Caribou.

I'd suggest Wabakimi but not sure it's convenient for your trailer needs. Wabakimi is my biggest wish.
MagicPaddler  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2023 6:51:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
If you are going that far west consider Woodland Caribou or Atikaki Provincial Wilderness. Marten is a good source of information on both of the parks. He also has a lot of videos on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNorthwoodsman1 . He can be contacted by sending a personal message through Quietjourney.com .
mattedfred  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2023 8:18:44 AM(UTC)

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I very much appreciate all of the insight!

I'm not familiar with either park. I'd consider Woodland Caribou and have started looking into it. I think we'd have to save Wabakimi for a separate trip. I'm also looking into the Turtle River/White Otter area.

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
You seem to have a very good and clear and successful mission, and I can't add much. I will ask if you've considered Woodland Caribou PP or Atikaki Provincial Wilderness Park, since you're heading west. I haven't but would like to, particularly Woodland Caribou.

I'd suggest Wabakimi but not sure it's convenient for your trailer needs. Wabakimi is my biggest wish.

mattedfred  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2023 8:20:42 AM(UTC)

Thanks very much!
I started to check out some of Martin's videos and comb through some of his stories.
I'm not familiar with Woodland Caribou, but it could be a possibility.

Originally Posted by: MagicPaddler Go to Quoted Post
If you are going that far west consider Woodland Caribou or Atikaki Provincial Wilderness. Marten is a good source of information on both of the parks. He also has a lot of videos on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNorthwoodsman1 . He can be contacted by sending a personal message through Quietjourney.com .

BillConner  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2023 5:44:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
You could find out a lot at Canoecopia 2024. A terrific event.
https://www.rutabaga.com...copia/page.asp?pgid=1001
SuperflyStuka@gmail.com  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2023 8:23:42 PM(UTC)

I’ve been doing the same! routing out circles in preparation for my first trip to BWCA on date the nearest I can get to a new moon. My only goal was to paddle to Canada. I picked out and ordered maps, and now I’m shifting my focus.
One thing I learned is, do not order every map on the Paddle Planner map list for your route.
Planning is most of the fun for me, til now canoe trips I plan are linear. There’s so many options here. I’m having a ball.
I’d be glad to share what I’ve put together.
mattedfred  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2023 4:43:34 AM(UTC)

Where are you planning to start and finish?

We'd be starting and finishing from the Canadian side.

Originally Posted by: SuperflyStuka@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
I’ve been doing the same! routing out circles in preparation for my first trip to BWCA on date the nearest I can get to a new moon. My only goal was to paddle to Canada. I picked out and ordered maps, and now I’m shifting my focus.
One thing I learned is, do not order every map on the Paddle Planner map list for your route.
Planning is most of the fun for me, til now canoe trips I plan are linear. There’s so many options here. I’m having a ball.
I’d be glad to share what I’ve put together.

tbm  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2024 10:33:09 PM(UTC)

I love WCPP, but be aware that in the last 5+ years roughly 80 percent of the park has burned.  WCPP was my go-to canoeing spot, but I had to give it a break after 2021 because I got tired of paddling through endless burnt over areas.