Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bayrunner  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2024 2:23:43 PM(UTC)

I am waiting for USFW verdict on the additonal permit need, but has any body else been through this issue?

I am planning a 2024  W-E boundary Route that eventually traverses Gunflint Lake to stay on the Canada -USA boudary route. Per BWCA entry permit rules it seems I may be leaving wilderness at Gunflint Lake so it seems I would require another entry permit to continue the trip to take out at entry point 69 or 83. I already have the permit to enter on the west side of BWCA.

It seems odd that paddling through Gunflint is "leaving the wilderness", which seems is the trigger for another permit.  Another permit would be difficult to coordinate because one would have to time the day in to Gunflict precisely after paddling over a hundred miles, if I can even get one at this point.

Sponsor
OhPaddler  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2024 9:59:29 PM(UTC)

I researched this issue this winter - as I was planning on entering on Saganaga and paddling along the boarder to South Fowl and then exiting at Clearwater and using their shuttle service to get back to my vehicle at Saganaga. I thought initially that a second permit, to enter South Lake would be necessary - however - I read that as long as you make the journey in a day and don't detour to civilization - then your initial permit remains valid.
OhPaddler  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2024 10:01:47 PM(UTC)

It looks like ~15miles paddling and 1 mile portaging from Clove to South Lake. As long as the weather is good/wind is with you - it should be an easy paddle.
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 28, 2024 6:46:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
You don't need another permit. It's called a corridor crossing and you can leave and renter the BWCAW without permit becoming invalid. BUT you can't resupply, use mechanical transport, camp or lodge, or basically do anything you are not permitted to do in the BWCAW.