Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rrbergan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2024 5:33:30 PM(UTC)

Entering EP 64 in early August. Targeting smallies and walleyes and want to do so bringing only two rods. Would like to use techniques/setups that can be moderately easy to change or transition to another. For example, possibly have a cranking/trolling rod that can also be my topwater rod. The second rod might be a slip bobber setup, but that would take a little more work to change it to something else. Would love everyone's thoughts and ideas. Maybe the answer is to bring a third rod?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor
AmateurHour  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2024 2:58:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

I have a 6' medium-light two-piece Gander Mountain (i.e., cheap) spinning rod that I use for trolling, casting, and walleye jigging. My heaviest trolling baits are deep taildancers, and it holds up acceptably. But we mostly troll near shore in 8' - 20' with Rapala F07 or F09, which are also good for putting on the brakes and casting. Less frequent but similar with 1/2-oz Dardevles.

Sometimes I'll bring an ultralight two-piece crappie rod for light jigs and small Raps. I'll also anchor up with that rod in the holder and a circle hook + 3" Senko as my smallmouth "autocatcher."

And lately I've been bringing a cheap/broken ice rod or the top half of an old two-piece on a length of dowel for a smaller "autocatcher" option.

Here's a picture of my setup:

Edited by user Thursday, March 14, 2024 3:03:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Pic

Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2024 5:45:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

FYI - AmateurHour's setup is legal in Wisconsin (where I know he does a lot of fishing), but please know that in Minnesota, you can only have one line in the water.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
AmateurHour on 3/15/2024(UTC)