Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply

Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Attach files to this post...
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Ben Strege Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 8:46:11 AM(UTC)

I like the grid idea. Have you used the map export function before?

Map Export to Image

Instructions are on the page. There is an option to put a lat/long grid on the map. I'll try to add in a feature to customize the distance between the lines. I'm not sure how difficult that will be since distance between latitude lines changes with the latitude, but I'll give it a shot.

Chris Hoepker Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 2:34:59 AM(UTC)

To explain my suggestion/wish, I have to first explain my map logistics for a canoe trip.

My maps (better said maplets) are printed double sided on 8 ½ x 11 inch waterproof paper and I carry them in a see-through case. I have all the 50,000 scale Canadian topos for Quetico seamlessly connected and overlaid with campsites and portages (all in one gigantic PowerPoint file). For the intended route, I make screen grabs covering roughly 7 x 9 km rectangles and save them as jpegs, which I can print borderless on the waterproof paper. The scale of the printed maplets, around 1:32,000, lets this 70+ year old read the map while it lays in my lap and without resorting to special glasses. In case of complex lakes, I select the rectangles so that I won’t have to study two or more maps at one time. As a backup or in case of a route change, I carry a park service portage map of the entire park.

Also I insist on having a km grid on the maps that I use on the water – for navigation and estimating distance and waterway widths.

If such a grid were on the “CALTOPO US/CAN” background, I would use screen grabs direct from the PaddlePlanner website to make the 8 ½ x 11 waterproof maplets that I use in the canoe. Even when planning a trip, I find the grid useful in giving me an overview of the distances involved.