Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
crob11  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 12:49:07 AM(UTC)

Hey, My wife and I are planning a vacation trip to Algonquin park for this May. Both of us loves to engage in nature activities like hiking and canoeing.  I know Algonquin is filled with a lot of options for canoeing and hiking, but we could go for only a few of those routes. We'll be there only for less than a week. We'll be staying in a lodge named Killarney Lodge inside the park. Can anyone suggest me a couple of best routes, each for canoeing and hiking in Algonquin which we could go for within a week's time. We aren't looking for hard trekking or anything that takes days to complete. Just trails that can be completed within a day will do well.  

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:20:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

How far from Killarney Lodge do you want to venture (driving time)? Would you be able to be dropped off and picked up in different places? Do you want a leisurely/see-the-sights sort of paddle?

There are a lot of hiking trails around the area of Killarney Lodge, but I'm not too familiar with them.

crob11  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:41:53 PM(UTC)

Thank you for the reply. Driving time doesn't matter a lot as long as it's worth it. About separate drop off and pick up locations, I will try to arrange something and yes, we are interested in sight seeing paddle. I know there are a lot of hiking trails, but have to pick a few. It's fine if you can't say a lot about it. Can you help with canoe routes?
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 7:55:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I can try to help with the canoe routes. I haven't been to Algonquin, but I learned a lot when I was putting the map together for this site. There are a few people here that regularly travel Algonquin. I'll post some maps/routes soon.

Chris Hoepker  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:02:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I haven't been to Killarney Lodge except once - my wife and I stopped there last summer for lunch but the dining room was full and we were too hungry to wait.

I wouldn't emphasize Algonquin for hiking. Lots of folks like it, but for me, the canoeing is too good for spend time hiking. Just looking at the map, what I'd do is get a canoe from the lodge and head southwest from the lodge and go up the Madawaska River. Don't worry about making a loop, just keep going until your turnaround time. if you're up for a couple moderate portages, then after around 3 km, you come to what looks to me like a nice good sized swamp that ought to be a good spot to see herons, beavers and if you get lucky, a moose.

Come to think of it a little more. You'll be at a lodge where they serve real food. What I'd do is reserve a canoe with paddles and stuff the night before and make sure it's ready for you well before anybody around there wakes up. Then I'd do that trip across the lake and head up the Madawaska. If you hit the river before sunup and keep going, I'd just about guarantee a moose sighting, maybe before you even get to the swamp. You could be back at the lodge by 10:00 AM for your bacon, ham, eggs, pancakes, home fries, fresh coffee, orange juice, English muffins, etc., etc., etc. I'll be thinking of you while i enjoy my breakfast of bread and cheese and coffee.
jvermast  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 7:10:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Anywhere along the hwy 60 corridor is great. If you want to canoe a few days and hike a few days stick east as there are multiple outfitters that you can jump into a canoe or onto a hiking trail from.

Canoe Lake is very popular for this sort of thing as there are several 2-3 day canoe trips off that Access Point and tons of hiking trails close to it as well. 

Canoe -> Joe -> Tepee -> Rainbow -> Canoe  would be a very easy 3 day trip with 2 nights on Little Joe.

Joe_Schmeaux  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 7:26:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hope I'm not too late for this.

For canoeing, the "go-to" Algonquin map is called Jeff's Map. You can download it for free as a jpg (google for the link).

There's not a lot of hiking in Algonquin, and if you spend all of your time paddling rather than walking, you won't miss much. The Mizzy Lake trail is an enjoyable half-day loop though.

Talk to the staff at Killarney. That lodge has been there forever, and the staff should be experts on everything to do in the park along with current conditions and regs.