Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chasbutt  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:49:47 PM(UTC)

After not being to the BWCA for about 10 years, I finally made it back last year. We got dropped off at Fall Lake and came out at Mudro by an outfitter. This year, we plan to forego the outfitter but that is partly based on the fact that the Mudro parking lot is pretty nice these days --- I think it was even paved.  So we are thinking we would just launch/return at Mudro, but I was also looking at going in at Snowbank and wondering if anyone can comment on the parking at Snowbank. I know the last time I was there, we were just parked in the grass on the side of the road and I don't recall any nicely groomed area like there is at Mudro. 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:11:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

There is an area to park. You can kind of see it in the background on this photo:

Snowbank Entry Point

I've been to both Mudro and Snowbank. Both were a few years ago, but I seem to recall parking being similar at both.

Last time I was at Mudro, it was not paved, but that could have changed since the last time I was there. When I was at Snowbank, it was gravel.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:14:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
chasbutt on 1/26/2016(UTC)
chasbutt  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:41:36 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the reply and photo -- much appreciated!
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:16:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Was there this past fall. Can't recall if gravel or paved but neat and spacious in either case. I'd have no reservations leaving my car there for a week or three.

We entered Moose last year - mega paved parking - and came out at Snowbank, paddling and portaging just canoe from Snowbank to Moose - medium length portage but practically mowed lawn. It's a useful link to know about.
thanks 2 users thanked BillConner for this useful post.
chasbutt on 1/27/2016(UTC), Ben Strege on 1/27/2016(UTC)
SnowBird2016  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 1:30:08 PM(UTC)

Was at Snowbank this Spring April 2017 to recon for our upcoming BWCA trip in Sept. The drive in is gravel road and Spring conditions had water running across the road in places and a few washouts. The parking area is gravel and spacious at both the canoe launch and another small parking area for boat launch. I would guess it is very crowded in the busy summer time.