Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MI_Native  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 5:30:16 AM(UTC)

I'm curious what to expect in terms of keeping perishable food cool in the CCS deluxe food pack. There will be 3 of us on a 7 day trip to BWCA in late July. Thanks.
Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 6:48:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Cool or cold? I love ours. We keep it in the shade when on land, and hang at night. Things are never warm. Cheese does not separate. I don't worry about eggs or summer sausage.

On the few occasions when I have taken food requiring refrigeration, I have carried a separate cooler. My favorite is an REI soft side that fits perfect in bottom of the CCS Deluxe Food pack.

I love the stuff sacks CCS makes for this pack. Wonderful for our food style
MI_Native  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 8:55:54 AM(UTC)

Thanks Bill. I was thinking more about cold foods. I was thinking about lining the bottom and half way up the sides inside with relfectix, then putting some dry ice or a couple half-gallon size ice blocks in the bottom.
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 6:00:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I think for fresh meat and dairy you would need more insulation than the pack for sure. I think if I wanted a full pack for that I would build a "box" of 1/2 or 3/4 inch styrofoam.
MagicPaddler  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 8:44:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
When I did base camp trips I took fresh meat in and kept it cold. I used a Styrofoam liner for a 7 gallon bucket. For additional Ice I used frozen orange juice concentrate. Crushed dry ice was used to fill all the cracks and voids. For the car ride the bucket was placed in a ice chest and covered with ice. In the canoe we kept it covered and in camp out of the sum. We still had frozen food after 4 or 5 days. The bucket was packed so what was to be consumed tonight was on top. The bucket was never open more than 10 seconds per meal.
thanks 2 users thanked MagicPaddler for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 2/17/2018(UTC), MI_Native on 2/23/2018(UTC)
Frenchy19  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:54:50 PM(UTC)

Used to own this pack when I did more trips in gropus of 4. Lined it with closed cell foam and used a hard shell insert. Inside the hard shell I used (2) frozen gallons of water to keep food cold. Also kept all meat wrapped in newspaper, and it was previously forzen. Usually stayed at an outfitter night before put in, and kept frozen food in their freezer overnight. Worked well but weighed a ton! 

Rs130754  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:38:34 PM(UTC)

I did wat Mi_Native said and lined the top and bottom with Refletix. I also have an insert that I put in a 5 gallon bucket for my frozen items. Only problem is the bucket takes up a lot of room. I was hoping to get 5 days of food and kitchen gear inside this bag. It might be a tight squeeze but I think it will work. I can also get small styrofoam coolers from my vet that might be lighter but not hold as much. I was just thinking of keeping cheese, brats, and lunchmeat cool.