Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
laxarcher  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 6:15:33 AM(UTC)

My son-in-law and I are putting in at Lund Lake and will be trekking up to Artery May 17-27. We intend to spend 3-4 days on Musclow with fishing as the primary objective. Looking for any knowledge of the lake and fishing advice that’s out there. Looks to me to be easy to get wind bound there.
Sponsor
laxarcher  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 7:42:00 AM(UTC)

Made it to Musclow on May 20th as planned.  To get there we needed to portage past the rapids coming into Barclay.  There are portages on both sides of this rapids but I suggest using the one on the east side.  Stayed at the southern end of the lake where the Musclow river begins its exit from the lake.  The lake is intriguing because it's roughly 5 miles NS and 3 miles EW.  Most of the time we were there conditions were flat calm - not a ripple.  Campsite is in a great location and has spectacular views, but is lacking good spots to place a tent.  Was a bit disappointed as a local fishing outpost has motor boats cached there, however we only saw them for about a half hour on our first day.  Spent 1 day fishing from the camp location up the eastern shorline to the entrance of the Musclow River.  We caught a few fish but just couldn't get on anything of size.  The same could be said for fishing from shore by the camp.  Anyone reading this should not take this as a sign that Musclow is a bad fishing lake.  Instead, take it that the person writing this is a very bad fisherman!

Would I recommend going to Musclow?  If you want to take a day or two and avoid the traffic on the Bloodvein then I certainly would recommend this place.  If you're going there with no prior experience or intel and plan to fish, then it's a whole lot of lake to figure out.  We were glad we went.

laxarcher  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:52:39 PM(UTC)

I believe the northern half of Musclow burned this summer but the southern half did not. There's a whole lot of lake here so if you were planning on staying on the southern half you shouldn't have any problems.