Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben Strege  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2022 11:40:23 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

There is a new customizable GPX download for Expedition Leader members. This allows you to filter the campsites that are included in the GPX downloads. Available filters right now are area, campsite type (active vs. closed), and ratings.

You can also choose the symbol scheme. It should create symbols for both Garmin and Gaia. I was not able to test Gaia yet, though, so let me know if it works or not.

I will probably add other filters and options in the future. Let me know if there is anything you would like to see with it.

https://www.paddleplanner.com/tools/downloadcustom.aspx

As I finished it up, I realized that this could also be used in conjunction with the new GPX tools on the maps. For example, if you want to highlight all of the 4 and 5-star campsites in the BWCA, you can create a GPX file with just those campsites. After downloading the customized GPX file, you can display the file on the map, essentially highlighting those campsites.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2022 12:43:13 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I personally used the customized GPX download last week for my Quetico trip. It worked well, but I realized that I really wanted to read the campsite reviews on my GPS. So... I added that functionality. I tested it on my Garmin GPSMAP 64sx, and all of the ratings are coming through. I have not tested it on Gaia.

I believe this is a good substitute for a dedicated app (which I will get to someday...). This is pretty much what I would use the app for anyway - routing and campsite reviews. Both of these can be done using existing apps such as Gaia and the GPX downloads on Paddle Planner.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply