Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TMcG  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2023 12:19:39 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi All,
I have a question about loading maps on the Garmin Explore app. How do I them and how to load onto my iPhone.
I’ve tried reading the online guides and was just befuddled. Is there any easy explanation on how to do it that works out there? Last year I just downloaded maps by luck the night before because my phone happened to find them. I ended up with some topo’s and NF maps. I knew where I was but the campsite location were hap hazard.
This year we’re heading into Quetico with a Carp lake entry. We’re going up to the Man Chain and wander around for 8 days. So I’d like detailed maps of the whole lake as we’re not just passing through .
Haven’t tried yet but can I download my route that’s set up on this site? Will it even show comments on campsites? How do I doit?

Headed in on the 22nd so I have a couple of weeks to figure it out.
Thanks for any suggestions
Tim
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2023 5:45:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Are you looking for background maps or the waypoints? This site will allow you to download your route and campsites, but you cannot download the background maps from here.

To download your route, calculate it on the map. Then go to the advanced menu (either enter fullscreen view or click on the little arrow in the upper right), click on GPX/KML, and click on Download Route to GPX. I would suggest leaving the "Include Surrounding Campsites" on off since there is a better way to do it. Downloading routes requires a Map Enthusiast membership.

The best way to download campsites is to use the Customized Campsite Download tool. This requires an Expedition Leader membership. There are several options, and the page should be able to walk you through it (if you still have questions, let me know). This is the only way to include campsite comments in the GPX file.

Once you have the GPX files, you should be able to get them on the Garmin Explore app and/or your GPS.

There are some free downloads, but they do not include the campsite comments.

There are a couple of other forum posts about these two tools:

And here is a YouTube video showing how to use the GPX/KML menu on the map - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDD-f-vuAnI

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
TMcG on 8/6/2023(UTC)