Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Walter Eyed Pike  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:40:49 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi All--  Wondering if you have suggestions for cookware?  I'm looking to upgrade and wondering if you have positive or negative feedback with any particular product/brand?

Preferably, I'd like to cook over the open fire, however a stove is of course needed when the weather is uncooperative or a burning ban is on.

Any input would be greatly apreciated!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:29:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I like GSI's Pinnacle series. I do all of my cooking on a stove, though, and I don't think it is made for that. Their Glacier series is made for open-fire cooking, but I haven't tried it.

Canoer97  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:43:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you are cooking on an open fire, be sure to soap (a light coat) the OUTSIDE of the pot and pans. It makes cleanup a whole lot easier.
thanks 2 users thanked Canoer97 for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/6/2016(UTC), Walter Eyed Pike on 4/7/2016(UTC)
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:01:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Over a fire, it would be hard to beat the BWJ deep square aluminum frying pan. I don't often fire cook but add a 4 qt or so aluminium pot and maybe a coffee pot, it would be pretty complete IMHO.

If I carried more fresh food, I might substitute an aluminum Dutch oven for the fry pan, knowing I can use the Dutch oven as a fry pan. Depends on menu.
Walter Eyed Pike  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:07:29 AM(UTC)

Sounds like most of you use cook stoves verse fire-- is there a breed of cook stove that you've found to be more reliable?  Or better question-- is there a stove that you've found to be less reliable!? :)

Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:16:59 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Walter Eyed Pike Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like most of you use cook stoves verse fire-- is there a breed of cook stove that you've found to be more reliable?  Or better question-- is there a stove that you've found to be less reliable!? :)

I really like my MSR Dragonfly and Whisperlite. The Dragonfly sounds like a jet engine taking off, but it cooks well. You can simmer with a Dragonfly, which is difficult to do with a Whisperlite. Because of its simmering capability, my primary stove is the Dragonfly, but I use both on my trips. Also nice and compact.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Walter Eyed Pike on 4/7/2016(UTC)
BillConner  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:30:13 AM(UTC)

Dragonfly fan, but I like to cook, not just heat water. It is noisy but I added a dragontamer from Bernie Dawg and now don't know why I waited so long. Fantastic combo. I also preheat with alcohol - well worth the hassle.
thanks 2 users thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/7/2016(UTC), Walter Eyed Pike on 4/7/2016(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:27:55 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
Dragonfly fan, but I like to cook, not just heat water. It is noisy but I added a dragontamer from Bernie Dawg and now don't know why I waited so long. Fantastic combo. I also preheat with alcohol - well worth the hassle.

I didn't know about the DragonTamer. I'm going to need to get one. 

BillConner  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:32:30 AM(UTC)

https://i.materialise.co...p;pageSize=9&index=8

A lot less than I paid for mine - which was a version 1 I think.
Walter Eyed Pike  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:41:48 AM(UTC)

For a 4 Day adventure how many ounces of fuel would you recommend for the Dragonfly? Conservatively of course. Thanks a ton for the fantastic and useful information!
BillConner  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:17:06 PM(UTC)

I have a slew of 20 ounce bottles. I carry 4 for a 6 or so day trip with two people - coffee every day, cooked breakfasts half the days, and cooked dinners everyday - often baking things in a JMO (jello mold oven) so a lot - and go though 2 1/2 to 3 bottles - say 45 to 55 ounces. I'm also a bit of a clean fanatic so every dish is rinsed with boiling water after each meal. I could imagine that with less baking, simpler menu, and so on one 20 ounce can would be fine for 4 days. Take two and you'll know for next time.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Walter Eyed Pike on 4/8/2016(UTC)
Canoer97  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:27:29 PM(UTC)

Why carry a stove and fuel unless you have to. There is nothing like cooking over an open fire. That is what the wilderness ids for.
BillConner  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 6:35:20 PM(UTC)

It the great thing about this country, that we can each do as we please as long as it doesn't impinge upon others. I've done both and prefer stove on canoe trips.
Canoer97  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:18:15 PM(UTC)

What was said was not my intentions of impinging on anybody's way of doing thing. I meant that if there is no fire ban our crew uses the open fire but in case of a fire ban we use a stove but we prefer using the open fire method. To each his own. I sorry my comment was taken to mean that using a stove was wrong. I apologize.
BillConner  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2016 8:25:11 AM(UTC)

Thank you and no problem. You said it best in "to each their own". Hopefully you've tried both ways and have made a choice; I know I have. Last time I went with a fire cooker I was compulsive about fire wood and left large stacks of cut and split wood at each site we stayed at.
Will  
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 12:28:18 PM(UTC)

Our group uses both a fire and a dragonfly stove for cooking.  We use the dragonfly stove for "faster" meals like coffee, oatmeal, or rice.  We generally designate a couple of dinners to be "campfire" dinners, but they require more time to find and prepare an adequate cooking fire.   We look foor cedar and other downed hardwoods to use for the cooking fire.  Pine is a last resort wood if we have to.  The pine resin will leave a bitter taste on meats and burns up too fast to keep an even temp. without constant attention.  We tend to be out fishing or exploring and don't want to spend loads of time on every meal.

halvorson.christopher  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 9:44:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
AmateurHour  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 1:08:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

I'm a sucker for indestructibility and thrift.

I very much dig my EmberLit with a cheap Primus Classic Trail and a couple of 8-oz canisters as backup in the event of emergency/ban. I actually have to make a point of using an entire canister each summer so I don't have them kicking around forever.

Optimus' Terra Weekend works just fine when cooking for one or two over a grated fire, EmberLit, or stove. Just gotta occasionally clean the soot out of the heat exchanger and keep it bagged when not in use.