Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tuck46902  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2016 6:37:12 PM(UTC)

Hello, my brother and I (ages 48 and 42) are planning our first trip to the BWCA with our 2 teenage sons (ages 15 & 16) for June, 2017.  We are interested in catching walleye, smallmouth & northern pike, in that order.  Also, we'd like as much solitude as possible.  We don't mind paddling every day, although I'd prefer a 1-day layover about halfway with some great fishing.  Currently, I am planning on a 6-day trip.  We are also willing to utilize a towboat and/or shuttle if needed.  What I am looking for are suggestions on good routes that will yield solitude, great fishing (especially for walleyes) in the first half of June (I am also willing/able to move this trip to later in June if the weather & fishing would be better), and some decent wildlife siting possibilities.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsor
Sluggman42  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:24:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
One option I thought of that'll hopefully get some ideas flowing for you was a Kawishiwi to Kawishiwi trip. Lake, entry point 37 to River, entry point 30. (Entry point 30 is technically Lake One, but its on the Kawishiwi river. As for the 6 day trip, you'd have to check the full distance and decide how much you want to move vs. spend time fishing ect... That's obviously completely up to you, but even with doing a out and back trip from either entry point, I think you can get some decent solitude, and likely really good fishing along the way.

Be aware that parts of both areas were involved in the Pagami Creek fire about 5 years ago, I have not been to any of those areas since, so I can't comment on the current state of the re-growth, but its typically quite slow.

Moving from Kawishiwi Lake (entry point 30) though some of the better fishing areas I've seen are as follows. Malberg Lake has always been good overall for walleye, though I never hit on any one specific spot, I've caught em throughout. Additionally north of Polly, the "crowds" really thin out. North and slightly west of Malberg is Beaver Lake and Adams. Campsites 1967 on Beaver (great views and a good jumping rock on the west side) and site 2015 on Adams are both excellent. On Beaver lake we caught both walleye and smallmouth around the small islands specifically on the east end of the lake. Northerns are of course everywhere and will bite on just about anything. On Adams I did well in both the North and Southeastern areas around the islands and the channels in between. Just past Adams is Boulder which was always outstanding for Pike, lots of submerged weed beds, and good sized walleye, never big numbers but good size. Also in Boulder the island camp in the middle was a 5-star for sure, with really good cedar stands, though I've heard that it suffered some blowdown damage some years back.

Following the river SW from Malberg you get to Fishdance Lake (check out the Pictographs) and Alice. At the bottom of the two portages between those two lakes, try for walleyes with diving crankbaits or jigs. I've heard that Alice is a outstanding walleye lake, but it's just too big and open for my taste. After that you get to Insula which is probably my favorite fishing lake in all of the BWCA.... One spot in particular which I heard someone else refer to once as "the meat house" is NW of camp 1337 (essentially the second NW finger coming from the north) The bay that butts into the back side of campsite 1337 is pretty cool to fish.... If you look at the Sat map, you'll see 5/6 little rocky islands. Fish between those islands, in the morning, while trolling 5 1/4 inch original Rapalas. Specifically in the Perch or Firetiger color patterns. I cannot emphasize the time and colors enough, not a clue why it works, but it did over 4 different trips. Other than that little back bay, the whole large finger of that lake, again following to the NW, is chock full of walleye. I've done very well trolling in the area, 15-25 feet down and also jigging around the island "between" campsites 1338 and 1339. The latter has a really nice sand beach btw...

All of Insula is good for fishing though, I really don't think you'd be disappointed. Past Insula you head down through Hudson, Four, Three, Two, One, then onto the Kawishiwi river proper to Entry point 30. While I've caught fish all along that area, Lake One for instance is supposed to hold some really big northern, the only other place I'd mention is the head of the rapids that connect Lakes Two and One, note that this is not where the portage is, this is actually the main water flow, which you do not want to try to run. But at the top, there is a small island you can jig for walleye/Smallies off of. I've always done it with live leaches, but I suspect that if you're any good at knowing how to jig, you'd be fine.

Last thought on fishing, I cannot recommend highly enough getting the proper equipment to troll. By that I mean good rod holders, I think tite-lok is the brand I have that can clamp onto your canoe. they have a C-shape clamp that can attach to any almuinum canoe with no problem or to a kevlar canoe with a couple of 3x3 plywood blocks on each side between the clamp and the canoe. I've caught a hundred times more fish just trolling along than any other way. You paddle a bit slower, but if you don't mind that, why not fish as you go. Hook on your favorite Shad Rap, Wally Diver, Smithwick Rouge, ect... I've been to BWCA/Quetico 20+ times and my parents have been going since 1971 I think.... Trust me, it works.

The one thing I should mention in all this is that most of my experience has been when going later in the year, August through early Oct.... (less bugs). So while the places may change slightly, the fishing should actually be in your favor going in June.

Most of all, enjoy the most beautiful place in North America.

Happy paddling
thanks 2 users thanked Sluggman42 for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 9/1/2016(UTC), Tuck46902 on 9/14/2016(UTC)
Tuck46902  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:43:24 PM(UTC)

Ben,

Thanks SO much for the detailed reply! Will the Insula area offer us solitude? Also, how deep do you typically troll? Thanks again for your help!
Tuck46902  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:45:48 PM(UTC)

One last thing... are there other forums/message boards for the BWCA? Thanks again!
Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 7:40:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Tuck46902 Go to Quoted Post
One last thing... are there other forums/message boards for the BWCA? Thanks again!

There is a list of a few others under resources. There are a couple of others that I can think of that I will have to add to the list.

Oh - and the original reply was not from me, it was from Sluggman42. You'll have to thank him for the great info!

Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 7:53:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Tuck46902 Go to Quoted Post
Ben,

Thanks SO much for the detailed reply! Will the Insula area offer us solitude? Also, how deep do you typically troll? Thanks again for your help!

I'll only be able to answer about the solitude. You'll have to ask Sluggman42 about the fishing.

Insula probably will not offer much solitude in June. It is on one of the most popular routes in the BWCA. That being said, though, there are ways to find solitude even on a busy lake. You can usually find a campsite down an arm of the lake or behind an island that is off the main travel route. For example, over a July 4th weekend, we stayed at the southern campsite on Jordan. Jordan is right on a main travel route, but we didn't see anybody the whole weekend by our campsite because it is a little out of the way. Just looking at the map of Insula, I can pick out a few campsites that, while not completely secluded, would offer a lot less traffic than staying on the main part of the lake.

Sluggman42  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 7:35:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Tuck,

Just to touch on a couple of your questions. As for the solitude, I guess that it kind of comes down to your definition of that word.  I've been going up to the BWCA for a long time so I would agree with Ben that Insula is not the most isolated area, it's on a fairly main route, and as it's well known for being a good fishing area you will find other people.  That being said, "other people" could quite likely be numbered in the single digits on any given day.... so it's not like you're headed deep into the unknown, but it's still wilderness, half a dozen people daily is pretty frickin awsome in my book.

Although both along the same general route and not terribly isolated, Lake One to Moose or Snowbank would both likely fit your general criteria for time of the trip. 

As for trolling...  http://www.titelok.com/product-p/rh-5615.htm  This is a link to the rod holder that I use, there are a few different types, but I have never had a problem with these.  If you plan on using them for a few years, they're worth their weight in gold, I have a couple that are close to 20 years old and have no issues whatsoever.  The C-clamp goes over the rail of your canoe, and I use two pieces of plywood, 1/2 or 3/8's ect... square blocks about 3"x3" held together by a piece of webbing 6 to 7 inches long... just stapled onto the blocks.  You need these if you're using a Kevlar (or similar) canoe.  With aluminum and probably any plastic variety, you just clamp em on.  When in the back of  the canoe I typically put the rod holder just in front of the first crossbar, though that will vary by canoe type and your preference.  

As for what and how deep I troll, it just depends on the situation.  I am first off extremely partial to Rapala lures, they are the best things I have ever used for this situation.  I base most of my decisions on the average lake depth that I will be in with adjustments to what I see.  For instance, I just got back from a trip starting on Snowbank lake.  I don't have a single thing in my tackle box that I would be afraid to troll through most of Snowbank, same goes for many other deep lakes.  McKenzie maps are great for getting average depth ideas.  Other than that, I look for points of land/islands that will possibly indicate where there is underwater structure.  When I go in the fall, I try to stay more than 12-15 feet deep if the lake allows due to typically warmer water ect.  With your trip being in June you may be able to get away with going shallower, though I'll defer to someone who fishes more than me on that subject.  Just to give a for instance, on our way back out last week, we went through Dissapointment lake.  I trolled almost exclusively with my Rapala Tail Dancer 20' trolling depth.  (different sizes go different depths, they mark em)  With that lure I did quite well with Smallies and Pike, no walleye though.  That may be due to wrong approach or just fishing at the wrong time as the fishing in general was slow.   Dissapointment had a "average" depth of 30' in the middle of the lake so I figured I was going to be safe most of the time.  In that case it proved out true, but it won't always.  Earlier in the week I was on Thomas Lake which gets over 100' deep in several areas, but found lots of shallow areas and underwater structure.  

If you don't mind snagging up from time to time and heading back to try to pull your lure free then it's a great way to fish as you're traveling.  You probably lose a little time due to snags, caught fish, and the overall drag caused by the lures, but I feel the tradeoff is well worth it.  With trolling I've found many areas that I can go back and fish later, specifically for bass and walleye as they tend to school.  Without that I'd be lost as I am not a serious fisherman by any stretch of the imagination.  All of my 35"+ pike and 25"+ walleye in minnesota have been taken with this method so again I can't recomend it highly enough. 

I'm going to close with a shameless plug for a specific lure, Big Joshy Swimbaits... if for nothing else than my cousin makes em.  But they work for me, I figgure they'll work for anyone.  http://www.bigjoshyswimbaits.com/

All the best, have fun and good luck fishing. 

thanks 1 user thanked Sluggman42 for this useful post.
Tuck46902 on 1/3/2017(UTC)
Gavia  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 12:44:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
If you want solitude, go solo.
cjs42  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 4, 2017 10:10:50 PM(UTC)

Tuck,

For solitude and decent walleye fishing, I would also recommend Alpine.  It is out at the end of the Gunflint trail, one portage out from Seagull.  Lots of walleyes, particularly in late May and early June in the channel on the NE side of the lake.  Just something to note for future trips.  I highly recommend Rapala lures also.  I was running 5'-9' lures and some 3'-5' shallow runners and caught fish on both this week.  I tend to use the shallow lures for smallies and northern in the coves and around grass/structure and the mid depth or deep lures for trolling.  Campsite 345 is definitely the better campsite on the channel.  We caught walleye while fishing from the campsite.  First round of mayflies were hatching yesterday (Saturday 06/04/17)

Quick shout out to Deb and crew at Seagull Outfitters.  They were awesome.

CJS