Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joeMKE  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2022 4:07:07 PM(UTC)

When I download my route as a .gpx file with surrounding camsites, on my Garmin it doesn't specify which site is my "end of day" site. Is there some way to make the "eod" sites stand out on the map as waypoints? As it is currently, I have to know the number of my site, aproximately where it is, then zoom in and look for it among several other sites.... kind of difficualt to do on a tiny Garmin eTrex 32x.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks,

Joe

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2022 4:40:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

It is not something I have thought about before. I'll work on adding it. If you have an opinion on the matter, what type of Garmin waypoint symbol would you want? For example, here is a list of Garmin icons - https://freegeographytools.com/2008/garmin-gps-unit-waypoint-icons-table

Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2022 10:45:11 PM(UTC)

I added the end-of-day points to the route GPX download. If there are less than 10, they use red numbers. If there are 10 or more, they are red flags.

One problem I was having with Basecamp is that Day 1 is being named Day 11. I can't figure out why. The file appears correct, but Basecamp is renaming it. Since it appears to be a Basecamp issue and not something I was doing, I pushed the changes out live.

joeMKE  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2022 10:48:28 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

I added the end-of-day points to the route GPX download. If there are less than 10, they use red numbers. If there are 10 or more, they are red flags.

One problem I was having with Basecamp is that Day 1 is being named Day 11. I can't figure out why. The file appears correct, but Basecamp is renaming it. Since it appears to be a Basecamp issue and not something I was doing, I pushed the changes out live.

Thank you. I'll re-download my route. I was going to say I think a flag would be perfect, really anything to differentiate the end of day site from all the surrounding sites (little green tents).

-Joe

joeMKE  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2022 1:09:49 PM(UTC)

Just an FYI, in case anyone else is interested in this topic: You can change the the icons of any waypoint in BaseCamp.

So in my case, I have my 6 day BWCA trip with all the hundreds of surrounding campsites showing up on the map as little green tent icons on my Garmin eTrex 32x. In BaseCamp, I can open my file, and go to the individual camp sites (waypoints) I plan to stay at, right click and select "get info", then I can change the name from "CMP1996," for example, to "1st_night_CMP1996" and also change the icon to something other than a green tent (I chose a red pin for contrast) so they stand out. Then export your new .GPX

Thanks for adding the "Day 1, Day2, etc", but I ended up deleting those waypoints in the end because those red flag "Day 1, 2, 3, etc" icons appeared buried underneath the little tent icon on the Garmin so I still couldn't see it. I guess because they exist in the same exact location. It would be nice if you could put certain icons/waypoints on a separate layer and then control the order of those layers so the icons you want to see are on the top.... maybe there is a way to do that that I'm not aware of. Anyways, just thought I would offer that feedback to you.

-Joe

Edited by user Sunday, August 21, 2022 1:12:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2022 4:35:17 PM(UTC)

I'll also add that I recommend turning off the campsites in the route GPX download and getting the campsites from the downloads page. For Expedition Leader members, the customized campsite GPX download is really cool.

joeMKE  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2022 5:03:10 PM(UTC)

Oh that is very cool. I didn’t see that before.

Is there a way to get the bwca lake contour map to work with garmin? Cant get it to load in basecamp. Can I convert it with Google Earth to something that works on my garmin etrex?
Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2022 7:08:14 PM(UTC)

I don't know how to do that. What makes it more difficult is that some of the contour maps are images and others are "paths" on the map. They are treated differently.