Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OhPaddler  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2023 8:15:35 AM(UTC)

Help me overcome my boredom.  Whats your favorite campsite in the BWCA (so far) and why?  Make sure to include the site number so we can follow along and look up the pictures!

I'll start: 

Ester, Southern Island Site (2008)

Large, well-shaded, fairly private with pretty clear waters.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2023 1:36:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

This is a tough one. I have visited over 400 campsites, and it is really hard to reduce it to one favorite site. I have rated 35 of them as 5-star sites. Here is a list of my favorite 5-star sites. I tend to like ones with open pine groves, so that is what many of these are:

• #9 on Lac La Croix - Great site at the edge of the motor area. Shows a bit of use, but amazing views, kitchen, and overall feel.
  • #221 and #249 on Trout - There are a lot of amazing sites on Trout Lake. These were my two favorites. Trout Lake has a lot of motor traffic, but the campsites themselves are spectacular.
  • #546 on Brandt - I almost extended my trip one more day just to stay at this site. Alas, I had to get back to civilization.
  • #701 on Canoe - Open red pine grove next to the water. From this site, you can easily take a quick day trip to the Canoe - Pine portage and visit Johnson Falls.
  • #951 on Brule - I had to include this one because it is my kids' all-time favorite campsite. Despite being in the middle of Brule, this site felt secluded. Also had enough room for the kids to roam and explore. 
  • #1044 on Amber - If I had to reduce my list to just one campsite, this would be it. There are better campsites, but none that offer the seclusion of Amber Lake. We spent four days on this lake without seeing another soul. The beach is nice to have, fishing was amazing. The only downside was that the site seemed to attract bugs (more than the usual amount).
  • #1169 on Alice - There are several good sites on Alice, but I have not visited what many consider the best ones. I did get to stay at this one, though, and it was amazing. Sand beach in a protected bay, rocks to explore along the shore, open pine grove, fishing close by. It was a great place for a layover day.
  • #1587 on Basswood - If you like views, you can't beat this site. It is high up on a cliff face. Of course, there is a long climb up to the site, but it is worth it. Still in the motorized area.
  • #1616 on Basswood - Island outside of the motorized area. Just look at the photos.
  • #1689 on Clear - Maybe my kids have two all-time favorite sites... This would make their list, too. I loved it as well. Red pine grove (great for hammocks), rocks to lounge on out front. It is also a little bit more secluded than some of the other campsites on this list (at least the lake is less used).
  • #1773 on Oyster - Seven people have rated this campsite, and all seven have said it is 5 stars. It is at a narrow point on the peninsula on Oyster, so you can access it from either side. One of the nicest sites in the BWCA.
  • #1921 on Isabella - The best family - friendly site we have stayed at. Sand beach within walking distance. Kids had a ton of fun playing on the rocks out front. Downside is that it is too shallow and rocky to fish from shore.
  • #1980 on Hook - This one might be more nostalgic. I spent a few days on this lake with my wife without seeing anyone else. The site itself is very, very nice. Lacks decent swimming options and fishing, but everything else is great.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 26, 2023 9:40:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Add links

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Philip Leflar on 4/27/2023(UTC)
TuscaroraBorealis  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2023 8:17:16 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked TuscaroraBorealis for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/27/2023(UTC), Philip Leflar on 4/27/2023(UTC)
OhPaddler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2023 9:03:07 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the input so far!  The Oyster site that both of you referenced is one of my potential stops this year - so I'm looking forward to that!